As Sandy Alderson mentioned in during one of the final Mets broadcasts of 2011, the changes wouldn't be subtle. He wasn't kidding! It looks like Citi is going from one of the most radical/quirky outfields to a perfectly rounded one. I'm a bit mixed on this, but overall I think its a good move:
- Some of the quirks seemed pointless from the beginning.
- The Mets hitters were obviously affected by the old dimensions. As Yogi Berra said, "99% of the game is half mental" If the hitters are more comfortable, they will play better.
- Maybe the Mets decide to go all out and replace the black fences with fan favorite blue fences.
- It should create some cool "on field" type seating in left field and right field.
- They may re-do the bullpens again. From many angles in the park, its hard to see who is warming in the 'pen.
- To be blunt, (Dickey aside) the Mets' pitching stinks. This can only make it worse.
- I actually like the black fences.
- No more "overhang" in Right field. It was a bit contrived anyway.
I'll try to take a tour sometime in early 2012 to get some pictures before opening day and post them here and on StadiumPage.com.